My activities in October were mostly related to updating my COPR repositories for CentOS 8 and cleaning up the old repositories:
- I updated the ganto/jo COPR repository to support CentOS 8.
- I updated the ganto/vcsh COPR repository to support CentOS 8 and added package builds for the alternative architectures (aarch64 and ppc64le).
- Thanks to the help of jmontleon I was finally able to build LXD which is available in my ganto/lxc3 repository for CentOS 8. I also updated the RPM for the latest stable release LXD 3.18.
- After years of development the distrobuilder tool which is meant to replace the shellscript-based LXC templates was tagged in a first 1.0 release that should now also be able to build CentOS 8 container images. Of course I updated the corresponding RPM in the ganto/lxc3 COPR repository accordingly. I’m not sure how they decide to do new releases therefore I might decide to go back building regular git snapshot releases of this tool in the future.
- I updated the ganto/goaccess COPR repository to support CentOS 8 and also increased the built goaccess version to a git snapshot from May 2019 based on version 1.3. Unfortunately the official Fedora package is still only at version 1.2. I was first testing the latest git snapshot but then found that it is affected by a bug (GitHub issue 1575) which would fail to render the access graphs properly.
- The last COPR repository pending an update for CentOS 8 is ganto/umoci which still fails because of go-md2man missing from EPEL 8.
- I deleted some outdated COPR repositories (ganto/lxc, ganto/lxd, ganto/lxdock) and archived the related GitHub repositories holding the RPM spec files.
Then I was also experimenting with adding Debian machines to a CentOS FreeIPA identity management server via Ansible. Years ago I wrote an Ansible role freeipa-client which was able to do that but still required manual setup of the Kerberos keytab on the client machine. I plan to replace that with a collection of new roles trying to blend-in with DebOps as much as possible. But unfortunately nothing ready to show yet.
Finally, as always, I updated a lot of ebuilds in my linuxmonk-overlay Gentoo overlay.